I think these are British and Ex MOD or War Office???

Rover8FFR

I spotted these double bogey trailers on a friends farm and thought here would be the best place to ask if they are ex Military or Agricultural.

My mate on the farm said they were from different tractor units on Gas couplings or a Scammell coupling?????

Pics may help. The more complete / fresher looking one had the remnants of 'Raleigh Industries Nottingham' on the side rail???? If that means anything to anyone.

They appear to have had the draw bars modified, but I say that out of them all being different and 2 of the 3 looking a little DIY.

Enjoy

20120226_102823.jpg

20120226_102803.jpg

20120226_102708.jpg

20120226_102448.jpg

20120226_102437.jpg

20120226_102404.jpg

20120226_102859.jpg

Edited by Rover8FFR
typo

Yes they look like the rear wheels, cut from one of those three wheeler Scammell Scarabs. I know the Scammell coupling was fitted to some Bedford tractor units during the war.

The driver could drop of a trailer and pick up another one without leaving his cab. Ron

They certainly appear to be Scammel couplings but not for Scarabs , the trailers are too big, Scarabs normally pulled two wheeled single axle trailers. During the fifties Scammel couplings were quite common on many different vehicles so these 4 in line trailers could have been used with various vehicles although the coupling was probably most frequently used on Bedfords.

Is it possible to check what they are more closely. i go there often and don't mind investing. also if they have MT value it would be a shame to see them wrott in a field being used as storage tressles. If anyone is interested in owning one for a Schamell I could ask if a deal could be done

I don't think the trailers are anything to do with the couplings. It looks like the coupling is just cut from it's original vehicle and an A frame welded on to make a dolly for a large trailer. I must admit I can't remember seeing a 12 ton Scammell coupling! Maybe that's why these have twin wheels.

Here is a Scarab and also The military Bedford Scammell. Ron

scammell2in6.jpg

Scan-120227-0001.jpg

I don't think the trailers are anything to do with the couplings. It looks like the coupling is just cut from it's original vehicle and an A frame welded on to make a dolly for a large trailer. I must admit I can't remember seeing a 12 ton Scammell coupling! Maybe that's why these have twin wheels.

Here is a Scarab and also The military Bedford Scammell. Ron

I owned a 15MU Scammell tractor that had come from the United Daries fleet and had been fitted at one time with a 12ton Sxcammell coupling.

BRS also used a large number of these type of couplings, there use was not just limited to 3ton and 6 ton Mechanical Horses

Are they worth saving? The empty one in green has Sleigh Industries along side rails. What did they manufacture in the war effort?

Hi Wayne,

What makes you think these trailers are wartime? I think they are just commercial trailers dating from 50's/60's era. In an earlier post, you mentioned Raliegh Industries Nottingham was on the side of one of them. This was the well known bicycle makers. I do not think these are military in any shape or form.

regards, Richard

Richard all noted and thank you but i thought i read somewhere that Raleigh didn't just make bikes and made other items during WWII.

I may be way off but something just telling me these may have more about them. the farm in question had an old RAF tractor tender also way back so bought ex military vehicles they still use the weights from the front on modern day tractors......

May be just wishfull thinking on my part :)

Edited by Rover8FFR
predictive text Aarrhhhh

Richard all noted and thank you but i thought i read somewhere that Raleigh didn't just make bikes and made other items during WWII.

I may be way off but something just telling me these may have more about them. the farm in question had an old RAF tractor tender also way back so bought ex military vehicles they still use the weights from the front on modern day tractors......

May be just wishfull thinking on my part :)

I agree with Richard, defo 1950's 1960's four in line BTC trailers

There only claim to fame is that they would tip over if loaded unevenly